Welcome to the world, little one. You are so beautiful already. Your Mom and I were college roommates and have been friends for over 20 years. How time flies…I always love knitting for babies (ok, and for cats…), especially to keep them warm on a cold day such as this, so little thumb-less mittens.These are the same socks I made for Allison’s baby and this time they were faster.And your Mom loves bears, so a bear hat just for you.There are pink hearts on the back because I like adding hearts, like to this sweater. All packaged up before I went to Shanghai because I thought you’d be born while I was away.We tried them on your Mama’s teddy bear and he said they fit, so I hope they fit you too! Can’t wait until the next time I see you. You’ll be even bigger by then…
So much in the news this past week has people discouraged: is there justice? Is there hope? Senseless things happen. People specifically cause them, there are accidents, there are tragedies. It’s almost too much to take.
I want to make pretty things and make people happy, inspire, soothe, what-have-you and relieve some stresses even for just a little while; sometimes with a quick picture, sometimes with a gift, which can last longer. A friend’s wife doesn’t like flowers because they die, but I prefer to think of them providing beauty that lifts us out of the everyday, even just for a short time. Otherwise it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle…days pass, years…
I surprised my college roommate with a Flower “Red Velvet” Birthday Cake and she said “I pass it every day on my table and smile”. The stop and smell the roses cliché is key here for just about 2.5 minutes. This video makes me happy and I hope it does for you too. Appreciate every day, hold your loved ones close. Be safe, everyone.
Oh my, what a day! So much inspiration, creativity and bright COLOR in the room at Alt Design Summit last Thursday, June 20th in NYC. I was treated to dinner and a bountiful gift bag the night before hosted by atly at Tía Pol, a great, tasty kick off to the conference and I was so happy to meet and mingle with fellow attendees.I’ve known Kate of Koru Wedding Style since kindergarten, so what better friend to go to something we’ve been dreaming about doing for so long? When we I arrived at the Martha Stewart Living Headquarters it was a bright and bustling room that greeted us.Crafters were crafting friendship bracelets, needlepoint and a personalized salt scrub.It might’ve been hard to settle down so much excited chatter, but everyone was excitedly anticipating the Opening Keynote address by Grace Bonney of Design*Sponge. Then to introduce the American Made panel was Martha Stewart herself! There were cheers, squeals and the sound of many cameras and phones clicking pictures.
So many good tips to think about!
- Clockwise from top left: Grace Bonney (Design*Sponge), Martha Stewart, Pilar Guzmán (Martha Stewart Living), Kathleen King (Tate’s Bake Shop), Bob McClure (McClure Pickles), Garance Doré, Jen Lee Koss (Brika)
- “Keep asking for what you want from who you want it from. So many things are more attainable than you think they are. Don’t be afraid to ask.” ~ Grace Bonney, Design*Sponge
- “When you’re brought to your knees that’s the only time when you can learn and grow and see. Take the emotion out of the decision making process, not the passion.” Kathleen King, Tate’s Bake Shop
- “Get out of your own way; don’t let the business run you.” ~ Bob McClure, McClure’s Pickles
Loved the slides illustrated by Garance Doré who has done illustrations and photography for many fashion brands:We were well fed throughout the day with breakfast, lunch, snacks…and a party to complete the day, cause there ain’t no party like a Martha party! and this one was decorated with new party goods by Martha Stewart of course.So many fun, new faces:and so much fun free things to play and create with: what to do first?!After ALT I’m inspired to:
- work on a business plan and marketing for my business: Jen Kim Creative
- do more networking with fellow bloggers and industry folks
- launch a new floral concept — coming on Monday!
- get back to crafting: it’s been a while and now I have 4 rolls of washi tape!
- work more on my photography, including today with friends in Central Park (sun, please come out!
What are you working on right now? Happy Friday!